‘Pacquiao’s foe known by late June,’ Koncz said
Manny Pacquiao spars with trainer Freddie Roach during his workout at Wild Card Boxing Club. Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea, USA TODAY Sports/Reuters.
MANILA, Philippines – Boxing champion Manny Pacquiao has already gone over the list of fighters being considered for his November 23 bout in Macau.
According to his business adviser Michael Koncz, he already had initial discussions with the boxer regarding the list, noting that since the fight is still five months away, Pacquiao has plenty of time to think about it.
“[I] went over the names [of proposed opponents] briefly with Manny yesterday (Monday) and we talked about each fighter, the pros and cons,” Koncz said in an interview with veteran boxing analyst Ronnie Nathanielsz.
“We will look at some video and then we’ll decide.”
Among the fighters mentioned is Argentina’s Luis Abregu, who is ranked No. 2 by the WBC and No. 4 by the WBO in their welterweight rankings.
But Abregu, who was recommended by Top Rank’s matchmakers, is relatively unknown to casual boxing fans.
“[Abregu] is not the top one on our list. We are not too excited about that [fight],” said Koncz, who declined to mention the names of the other candidates.
“It will be detrimental to negotiations because they will think we are chasing them,” he explained.
Among Top Rank’s biggest names in the welterweight class are Pacquiao’s Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez and the Filipino boxer’s former training partner, Ruslan Provodnikov.
There are also several big names under the Golden Boy Promotions stable including Amir Khan, Marcos Maidana and Danny Garcia.
Koncz said Pacquiao is likely to make up his mind after a family vacation in Israel and Britain.
“We will make a decision at the end of the family vacation of Manny by the last week of June,” he said.