MANILA, Philippines – Former HBO Sports president Seth Abraham believes there is no chance of seeing a mega-fight between boxing's pound-for-pound kings, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao.
In an interview with The Sweet Science, Abraham explained that Mayweather will not want to risk his place in boxing history even for what would be the most lucrative fight in boxing.
"I do not (think the fight will happen)," Abraham said. "Floyd believes he's in the conversation about the 10 greatest all-time fighters."
"He believes if he retires with zero defeats, he would be in the top five in history. He doesn't want to jeopardize the history for the money," he explained.
Abraham was the head of HBO Sports 1986 until 2000.
Boxing fans have wanted to see Pacquiao and Mayweather fight each other for years now, but the two camps have never been able to agree on the terms for the fight.
Mayweather has also accused Pacquiao of using performance enhancing drugs, leading the Filipino boxer to file a defamation case against him.
Pacquiao has already agreed to Mayweather’s demand of random drug and urine tests, but the latest round of negotiations fell apart earlier this year – this time after the two camps failed to agree on the split of pay-per-view revenue.
Pacquiao has said he is willing to take a lesser guaranteed purse to fight Mayweather, but only if he gets an equal share of the pay-per-view revenue. Mayweather, for his part, guaranteed Pacquiao $40 million but does not want to share the pay-per-view revenue.
The two boxers ended up choosing different opponents anew: Mayweather will once again risk his undefeated record on May 5 against Puerto Rico’s Miguel Cotto, while Pacquiao will defend his WBO welterweight belt against Timothy Bradley, Jr.