Unbeaten American fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr. has heard the reports that a bout between Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao and Mexican prodigy Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is being considered, despite the two boxers fighting under different promoters.
Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya told the Los Angeles Times that he is considering a mega-bout between Alvarez and Pacquiao, who is promoted by rival company Top Rank, headed by Bob Arum.
“Anything’s possible. That’s one of the reasons I was extending the olive branch. The fans want to see these kinds of fights,” De La Hoya said in the LA Times report.
But Mayweather, who split from Arum and Top Rank early in his career and has now been working exclusively with Golden Boy, doubts the fight will ever happen.
“I don’t think Pacquiao and Canelo are going to fight. Me, personally, I don’t think so,” Mayweather said during a media workout in his Las Vegas gym last week.
Pacquiao is coming off a dominant performance against Timothy Bradley Jr. last April 12, while Alvarez – who lost to Mayweather in September 2013 – rebounded with a win over Alfredo Angulo.
Although he doubts the fight will happen, Mayweather did reveal who he thinks will win a hypothetical Pacquiao-Alvarez fight.
“If that fight was to happen, I choose Canelo to win,” said Mayweather, “But I don’t think the fight is going to happen.”