MANILA, Philippines – Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. is not optimistic that a super-fight against Filipino ring icon Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao will happen later this year.
In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Mayweather said he does not believe the much-awaited showdown between him and Pacquiao will happen anytime soon.
“I don’t think it’s going to happen,” Mayweather said, before adding that he was not to blame for the breakdown of negotiations for the fight.
“It’s because of (Top Rank chief executive officer) Bob Arum. It’s not my fault,” he said.
The Pacquiao and Mayweather camps engaged in negotiations earlier this year, after Mayweather’s jail sentence was pushed back so he could fulfill an obligation to fight on May 5.
The two boxers even reportedly had a telephone conversation, but the talks ultimate fell apart after the two sides failed to come to an agreement regarding the pay-per-view revenue sharing.
Pacquiao said that Mayweather offered him a set purse but refused to share the pay-per-view revenue. The Filipino boxer is asking for an equal split in the PPV revenue, especially as the mega-fight is expected to generate more than $100-million in profits.
Mayweather eventually decided to fight Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto, who lost to Pacquiao when they fought in 2009. Pacquiao, for his part, is fighting unbeaten American Timothy Bradley Jr. on June 9.
But Mayweather’s uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, still wants his nephew to fight Pacquiao.
“Why wouldn’t you?” Roger said. “There ain’t no way that guy (Pacquiao) lasts five rounds against my nephew.”
“This is the best I’ve seen him since the Diego Corrales fight. He hasn’t been laid off, he’s come back tight, sharper,” the trainer added.
Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach, also believes that a mega-bout between his prized pupil and Mayweather should be fought later this year, because “there’s nowhere else for them to go.”