MANILA, Philippines – Puerto Rican boxing star Miguel Cotto is happy with how his training camp for his May 5 fight date against undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. has progressed so far.
“So far, the training is bearing the fruit that we expected and we have done very well in camp,” Cotto said in an interview with Boxing Scene.
“The workouts are strong, and that makes it different from the prior camps, because they are more intense routines,” he added.
Cotto will defend his World Boxing Association junior middleweight champion against Mayweather. Despite being the defending champion, he is considered as the underdog in the bout against the undefeated American star.
His former trainer, Emanuel Steward, said Cotto will need a definite gameplan against Mayweather.
The Puerto Rican boxer has said that he is working with his new trainer, Pedro Luis Diaz, to come up with the perfect strategy to neutralize Mayweather.
“Pedro gives his best effort in his work, and I give mine. This is the reason why there is such a good chemistry between us,” Cotto said. “We are working to achieve victory on May 5th, by following the plans and the pattern that Pedro has developed.”
Diaz steered Cotto towards a dominant 10th round technical knockout victory over Mexico’s Antonio Margarito in December.