MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Education (DepEd) and the province of Antique on Thursday held the ceremonial signing of the memorandum of agreement (MOA) for the 2017 Palarong Pambansa at the DepEd Central Office.
The MOA was signed by Education Secretary Leonor Briones and Antique Governor Rhodora Cadiao.
Antique, in cooperation with the DepEd Regional Office VI Western Visayas and Schools Division of Antique, was declared as the host local government unit for the 2017 Palarong Pambansa.
Under the agreement, the DepEd has the following tasks:
• Organize the regional delegations for the 2017 Palarong Pambansa;
• Coordinate with the LGU for the necessary security provisions and measures;
• Receive donations from the private sector to support the operation of the national event;
• Conduct technical inspection and monitoring;
• Provide the standard technical equipment and supplies; and
• Provide technical management and administration of the facilities and activities related to the national event.
The province of Antique, meanwhile, has the following major functions:
• Convene the Local Palaro Executive Committee (LPEC);
• Coordinate with the municipalities for the successful conduct of the Palaro;
• Facilitate the sourcing of funds;
• Ensure the readiness and availability of the sports facilities; and
• Ensure the availability of technical facilities and equipment including the provision of convenient billeting areas and quarters.
The 2017 Palaro theme is: "Converges Youth Power, Builds Sustainable Future."
The games will be held from April 23 to 29.
(For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.)