Boxing: Arum has two April dates in mind for Jerwin Ancajas’ next US fight

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 07 2018 06:17 PM

Jerwin Ancajas could be back fighting in the US next month. File/Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

Boxing promoter Bob Arum plans to schedule world champion Jerwin Ancajas for a supporting bout under the Jeff Horn-Terence Crawford card in April.

The Top Rank Inc. CEO said Ancajas could replace Manny Pacquiao in the April 14 card that will feature Horn’s welterweight title defense against Crawford in Las Vegas.

If not, they might find another April fight date for Ancajas.

“He is fighting against another Filipino either on April 14th here (in Las Vegas) or the card in Philadelphia on April 28th,” Arum told ABS-CBN North America Bews Bureau’s Bev Llorente. 

The “other Filipino” Arum was referring to is Jonas Sultan, who earned a mandatory title challenge against Ancajas by outclassing former 2-division champion Johnriel “Quadro Alas” Casimero last September.

Arum stressed that it is important for the Panabo City native to get continuous exposure so that he’ll become a household name like Pacquiao. 

“He is a young man and we think we can build him to a young star in the US. We think he has to fight often and he is up to that. This April is his second fight,” he said.

In his US debut last month, Ancajas stopped Mexico's Israel Gonzalez in 10 rounds.

Meanwhile, ALA Promotions chief Michael Aldeguer said they are still negotiating the fight between Sultan and Ancajas, according to Cebu Daily News

If the bout pushes through, it will be the first all-Filipino world title duel in 93 years. The last time that happened was in 1925 when Pancho Villa beat fellow Pinoy Clever Sencio for the world flyweight crown. -- With a report from Bev Llorente, ABS-CBN North America News Bureau

(For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.)