MANILA, Philippines – Manny Pacquiao’s Canadian adviser, Michael Koncz, confirmed that negotiations have been reopened between the camps of the Filipino boxing superstar and undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Koncz said the discussion is going well and could lead to the much awaited Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.
Mayweather has been inactive since beating Shane Mosley in May last year.
“There's been discussions… So far, it's looking positive,” said Pacquiao’s adviser.
Koncz, however, asked boxing fans not to have high hopes, given the Mayweather camp’s tendency to flip-flop.
“It looked positive last time, too,” he said. “We're always hoping to entertain a fight with Mayweather.”
Both camps already tried twice to have the super fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather.
The first round of negotiations bogged down when Mayweather’s camp demanded that Pacquiao undergo blood testing, which the Filipino turned down.
During the second round of talks, the Filipino champion agreed to undergo blood testing up to 14 days before the fight.
Mayweather’s camp, however, then denied that they were negotiating for the bout.
Floyd itching to fight
Recent developments have raised the possibility of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight pushing through.
Jeff Mayweather, Floyd’s uncle, said the ex-pound-for-pound king is eyeing a return bout in July.
This could turn out to be a tune-up in preparation for Pacquiao.
Golden Boy Promotion’s (GBP) Oscar de la Hoya also issued a statement that the blockbuster bout will eventually take place.
"I believe that fight will take place," De la Hoya told Reuters. "I believe Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao understand that it has to take place."
"They are the best fighters out there and I feel they both really want this fight to happen. When the time comes, people will enjoy a tremendous fight because styles make fights."
Focus remains on Shane
But Koncz said Pacquiao will concentrate first on the task at hand.
The Filipino boxer is due to defend his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title against Mosley on May 7.
Pacquiao started his stamina work in General Santos City on Thursday
“As Manny said, we'll focus on this fight,” said Koncz.
The Filipino superstar will stay in General Santos City until March 12.
He will start his training camp in Baguio City on March 13. He will be joined there by his boxing coach, Freddie Roach.
After more than three weeks in Baguio, Pacquiao will fly to Los Angeles on April 9 to continue training in Roach’s Wild Card Gym. – With a report from Jay Dayupay, ABS-CBN News SOKSARGEN