MANILA, Philippines – Cuban boxer Guillermo Rigondeaux has provided the information required by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA) and they can proceed with their drug testing program, the fighter’s team informed Boxing Scene.
Trainer Pedro Diaz gave Boxing Scene a copy of an e-mail he sent to VADA, which gives the agency the training program of Rigondeaux.
Rigondeaux is taking on fellow world super bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire in a title unification fight, and their much-awaited battle was nearly derailed after the two camps had a misunderstanding regarding the VADA drug testing.
Even after the fight was announced in a press conference in New York last week, Donaire threatened to pull out when he found out that Rigondeaux did not provide his full contact information to VADA.
But Team Rigondeaux said they have already given VADA all the required information and signed all pertinent documents.
“We still have no idea what’s going on with Nonito Donaire’s team,” Rigondeaux’s co-promoter, Boris Arencibia of Caribe Promotions, told Boxing Scene.“Every day, we read something about VADA tests and ultimately, we do not know what they intend to accomplish with this attitude.”
“Guillermo Rigondeaux already signed, in front of (Top Rank promoter) Bob Arum and everybody else, all of these VADA documents and met the other requirements of this organization,” Arencibia added.
Arencibia emphasized that they have already “agreed on everything requested by Donaire.”
“We are professionals, and we cannot disappoint the audience that also wants to see this great fight,” he said. “We do not want to believe that Nonito is trying to get out of the fight. We do not want to waste time on fruitless discussions.”
“From next Monday, we are going to enter the crucial stage of our training camp, and we do not want to interrupt the planned camp of trainer Pedro Luis Diaz.”
According to Diaz’s e-mail to VADA, Rigondeaux will hold his training camp in Boca Raton, Florida and will be available for drug testing there.
Meanwhile, Donaire has backtracked on his threat to pull out of the fight.
“I have decided to follow through with the fight in April out of respect for HBO and my fans who have bought tickets and travel,” Donaire said in a statement.