Delays in foe’s VADA requirements irks ‘Filipino Flash’
MANILA, Philippines – Four-division champion Nonito Donaire Jr. has withdrawn his threat to back out from the Guillermo Rigondeaux fight even as he admitted being disappointed over his foe’s apparent reluctance to undergo drug testing.
Donaire said he didn’t expect that he’ll have a hard time forcing Ringondeaux to comply with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) requirements.
“I did not expect it would be this hard to enforce drug testing on my opponent,” the “Filipino Flash” said in a statement issued to Max Boxing.
Donaire pointed out that Rigondeaux’s camp verbally agreed to drug testing before the fight was announced last week. But the Cuban decided to delay the signing of the VADA contract up to the day of the presser.
Donaire’s camp later found out that Rigondeaux has turned in an incomplete drug testing contract, which lacked the Cuban’s contact information.
This sparked a word war between the two camps with Donaire threatening to withdraw from the fight.
The Cuban later submitted a fully accomplished VADA form.
Donaire stressed that he didn’t intend to accuse Rigondeaux of using performance enhancing drugs. What he wanted, he said, was for the Cuban to honor their agreement.
“I want to clarify that I am not accusing Rigondeaux of taking performance enhancing drugs but do not agree with the amount of time and wasted effort it took to secure drug testing that he previously agreed to,” said Donaire.
“I am disappointed that instead of jumping at the opportunity to make this a fight remembered as one that is trying to change the drug testing game, it turned into one that spent more time slinging insults.”
“I will turn in my signed bout contract into Top Rank on Monday,” Donaire assured.