Marquez-Alvarado nearly a done deal

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 20 2014 06:56 PM | Updated as of Feb 21 2014 02:56 AM

MANILA, Philippines – The welterweight fight between Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez and former world champion Mike Alvarado is nearly a done deal, according to Marquez’s promoter, Fernando Beltran.

Alvarado and his camp already agreed to the bout earlier this week, and Beltran told RingTV that the fight is “80 percent to 90 percent done” on their side.

“I have already met with Juan Manuel. We’re at the point where we’re negotiating the purses and everything, and he’s totally interested in the fight on May 17 to open The Forum against Alvarado,” said Beltran.

Both Alvarado and Marquez are coming off losses. Marquez lost a split decision to unbeaten American Timothy Bradley last October, while Alvarado was knocked out by Russia’s Ruslan Provodnikov later in the same month.

Beltran said he is expecting a “bombs away” showdown when Marquez and Alvarado touch gloves.

“They’re clearly going to throw bombs at each other, and we’re comfortable with that. I’m telling you that Juan Manuel is very comfortable with that, and he’s prepared himself very well for that type of situation with this guy,” he said.

But Beltran also stressed that Marquez’s goal is still to win a world title in a fifth different weight class, which means possibly taking on the winner of the WBO welterweight fight between Bradley and Manny Pacquiao.

“Juan Manuel knows that if he wants to be in there and to fight the winner between Bradley and Pacquiao, then he needs to be in a fight of this level,” said Beltran. “We know that that’s where we are.”

Boxing Scene has also reported that the fight will be held at a catchweight of 144 pounds, instead of the welterweight limit of 147 pounds.