LAS VEGAS – Bob Arum isn’t taking Shane Mosley lightly. Certainly not.
But at the MGM Grand Saturday, the legendary promoter told some members of the media he has already marked November for Manny Pacquiao’s next fight.
The venue, he said, will depend on who the opponent is. He mentioned only three names – Floyd Mayweather, of course, Juan Manuel Marquez, could be, and Andre Berto, perhaps.
“Floyd is still our number one priority,” said Arum, referring to the undefeated American, who’s in the news these days more for his misdeeds at home or out on the road.
“We want to find out if he’s available or what his legal status is. Right now I have no idea,” said Arum of the fighter who’s facing charges from assault, larceny to felony.
Arum and Mayweather were at last week’s Super Bowl in Denver, and even had their picture taken together. But the ageless chief of Top Rank said they never discussed boxing.
“If it’s Floyd, then certainly it’s Vegas,” he said.
“But if it’s Marquez, we might go somewhere else,” Arum added.
Somewhere else could mean Abu Dhabi, which has an old bid going, or Singapore or even Tokyo. Arum said they will weigh all the offers from these venues when the right time comes.
“We’ll see,” Arum said.
But whoever it is, and regardless of the venue, Arum said Pacquiao’s next fight will be at 147 lb, and that’s assuming, of course, that the Filipino icon gets past Mosley on May 7.
Because if he doesn’t, then there’s the possibility of a rematch.
"From now on Manny is going to fight at 147. He is the welterweight champion and he will defend that title. Anybody who wants to fight Manny should fight him at 147,” Arum said.
“Nothing less,” he added.