MANILA, Philippines – World welterweight champion Devon Alexander welcomes the opportunity to face off against unbeaten American Floyd Mayweather Jr. after the superstar boxer said a deal was close for a title unification fight.
Mayweather announced last week through his Twitter account that he was close to reaching a deal for his next fight on May 4, and that Alexander was the leading candidate to be his opponent.
In an interview with Boxing Scene, Alexander (24-1, 13 KOs) said he welcomes a fight against Mayweather.
“Floyd’s the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world,” he said. “I would love to get the opportunity to test my skills against the best.”
Response to Mayweather’s announcement had been mixed, as many believed the American superstar was going to fight Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero.
Some suspect that Mayweather’s tweet was merely a ruse, as even his promoter, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy, has said that he was unaware of negotiations between Mayweather and Alexander’s team.
But Alexander’s manager, Kevin Cunningham, trusts Mayweather to keep his word.
“Floyd says he is a man of his word and that he calls his own shots. If that’s the case, then Mayweather-Alexander gets made,” Cunningham said.
Alexander was supposed to defend his International Boxing Federation title against Britain’s Kell Brook, but the fight was postponed when Alexander suffered an injury.