MANILA, Philippines – Former world champion Andre Berto suffered an injury while training for his February 11 rematch against Victor Ortiz.
Berto, who is eyeing to avenge his loss to Ortiz last year, suffered a ruptured left biceps.
The injury will require arthroscopic surgery, thereby postponing his rematch with Ortiz.
"It is my understanding that Andre hurt it throwing a left hook during sparring. I was just told that the surgery will likely take place tomorrow," Victor Conte, Berto's nutritionist, said in RingTV.com.
"Andre was sparring against Tureano Johnson, and when he threw a short left hook to the head, Tony said that Berto told him that he heard a pop. After this happened, Andre went and had an MRI. Apparently, the muscle is detatched from the bone. That's what Tony said," narrated Conte.
Berto gave up the IBF welterweight title he won from Jan Zaveck to get a chance to avenge his loss to Ortiz.
Ortiz defeated Berto via unanimous decision to snatch the WBC welterweight title in April 2011.
"Disappointed isn't even the best word to describe how I feel right now,” said Ortiz.
"Do I have anything bad to say about Berto? No. Not at all. S--t happens. But I wish him a quick recovery, because I need to get into the ring with him ASAP," he added.
Ortiz himself is looking to rebound from his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
He lost the WBC welterweight title in a controversial bout against Mayweather. Last September.