MANILA, Philippines – Filipina-American boxing champion Ana "Hurricane" Julaton said she is willing to drop her professional boxing status to represent the country in next year's Olympics Games.
That is if the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the organizer of the quadrennial sports event, will finally allow former professional fighters to compete in the event.
“It would be a great, great honor for me to win for the Philippines its first ever Olympic gold medal,” Julaton said in Philboxing.com.
"As a pro, I am already carrying the country’s colors in all my fights. When the time comes that I will be fighting for an Olympic gold, then I will," the boxer said in the same article.
As of posting time, the IOC has yet to go over a pending proposal which, if approved, can allow sportsmen with professional status to play in the Games.
Julaton, the World Boxing Organization women’s super-bantamweight champion, said it has been her "long-time dream" to represent the Philippines in the famed event.
"[I]f former pros will be allowed to fight in the Olympics, I might return to the amateur ranks...” the pugilist, who also trains under renowned coach Freddie Roach, said.
Julaton's manager, Angelo Reyes, said he supports his ward's decision.
"[I]t’s not far fetched that she would relinquish her pro status just so she could realize that dream,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Olympic Games is set to commence in the middle of 2012 in London
Still has eyes for 'pro'
Although Julaton is thrilled to shed her professional status for the Games, she said she still has to take care of her current career.
“As I said, I’m keeping my options open. I still have some commitment to fight as a pro and I will be concentrating on that. One fight at a time,” she said.
Julaton (7-2-1) is coming off a split 10-round decision over Mexico’s Maria Elena Villalobos in Canada last year.
Meantime, the Filipina is gearing up to defend her crown against American Francesca Alcanter (18-9-1).
The 2 boxers will collide this coming February 25 in California.