Dillinger, Abueva, David fined after fracas


Posted at Jan 14 2014 05:07 PM | Updated as of Jan 15 2014 05:56 PM

Players fall on the court during the PBA Philippine Cup game between the Meralco Bolts and the Alaska Aces last January 10. Photo by Nuki Sabio, PBA Images.

MANILA - (UPDATE 1) Meralco’s Jared Dillinger and Alaska’s Calvin Abueva were both fined by the Office of the Commissioner of the PBA but avoided suspensions following a near-altercation during the game between the Bolts and the Aces last January 10, it was announced on Tuesday.

Dillinger, who was seen grabbing Abueva by the neck, received a fine of P10,000. His technical foul for taunting was upgraded to flagrant/unsportsmanlike foul.

Abueva, whose block of Dillinger’s lay-up inadvertently sparked the fracas, was also fined P10,000. His technical foul for second motion was also upgraded to flagrant/unsportsmanlike foul.

In addition, Abueva was fined another P3,000 for flopping, with the Commissioner’s Office observing his “proclivity to exaggerate fouls against him and other forms of physical contact in which he is involved.”

During the fourth quarter of the Philippine Cup game between Meralco and Alaska last Friday, Abueva blocked a lay-up attempt by Dillinger and inadvertently hit the Meralco forward with his right hand.

Dillinger was then seen grabbing Abueva’s jersey as the two fell on the stands. Video showed that Dillinger had his hand on Abueva’s neck, though he denied choking the Alaska player, something that “The Beast” also confirmed.

Meralco gunner Gary David also entered the scene and was caught on video raising a closed fist in Abueva’s direction.

The Commissioner’s Office has fined David P5,000 for his role in the fracas.

“(David) was shown to have taken a fighting stance that could have exacerbated the incident,” the Commissioner said in his statement.

Dillinger told the Commissioner that he was telling Abueva to “respect me and respect the game” when he had his hand on the other player’s neck.

David, meantime, admitted that he raised his fist at Abueva “out of frustration.”

Meralco wound up winning the game, 74-65.