Total death toll now at 6,224, missing at 1,039
MANILA -- Bodies are still being found in Yolanda-ravaged Tacloban City in Leyte almost 4 months since the super typhoon struck the country.
Speaking to ANC's "Top Story" on Friday, Tacloban Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Officer Derrick Anido said retrieval of bodies of Yolanda victims is still being conducted by the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) until now.
Anido said just yesterday, 8 more bodies were recovered in the coastal village of San Jose while the BFP was conducting clearing operations in the area.
"Habang nililinis po yung mga debris, may mga lumalabas pa po na cadavers," he said.
He said a total of 2,637 bodies have been recovered so far in Tacloban since the massive typhoon slammed the Visayas region on November 8 last year.
At least 701 people remain missing in the typhoon-ravaged city, he said.
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) executive director Eduardo del Rosario, meanwhile, told ANC that the total number of confirmed fatalities from all areas hit by the typhoon is now at 6,224.
The total number of missing stands at 1,039, he said.
Del Rosario explained that they were not able to release earlier the updated Yolanda death toll due to discrepancies in the tallies of the disaster officials and the local government units.
But after cross-checking their data, he said they were able to confirm the total number of deaths, which is 6,224.
Meanwhile, the Coast Guard said it is still working with shipping companies whose vessels remain stranded after they were washed ashore at the height of Yolanda.
The Coast Guard said the shipping companies have been given a deadline to remove their vessels. -- With ANC