MANILA - Actor-host Vhong Navarro is set to resume filming for a horror-comedy movie amid his controversial legal battle in relation to a mauling incident last January 22, producer Star Cinema announced Monday.
Navarro, who has been recovering from serious injuries, will continue shooting for "Da Possessed" this week, according to the ABS-CBN film outfit on its official website.
First announced last November, the project will be directed by Joyce Bernal and will co-star Navarro's "Toda Max" leading lady Angel Locsin and comedian John Lapus.
According to Lapus, "Da Possessed" started filming in December.
Navarro recently filed six criminal charges against eight people, including businessman Cedric Lee and model Deniece Cornejo, in connection with the mauling at the latter's condominium unit in Taguig.
Cornejo, in her rape complaint filed against Navarro, alleged that she was "rescued" by Lee's group from being sexually assaulted by the actor, which supposedly led to the attack.
In her counter-affidavit to Navarro's charges, Cornejo also claimed she was raped by Navarro during their first meeting last January 17.
Last week, another woman, former pageant contestant Roxanne Acosta-Cabanero, claimed she was also raped by Navarro in April 2010. She denied having any ties with Cornejo and Lee, when asked if she was paid by the businessman to come out against Navarro.
Vhong Navarro swears by his testimony, accusing Cedric Lee and company of beating him up, during his appearance at the Department of Justice last February 6. Photo: ABS-CBN News
Navarro, who also co-hosts "It's Showtime," earlier said he was unsure if he could still return to showbiz after the controversy involving Lee.
"Kahit sobrang miss na miss ko na magpasaya ulit, magpatawa, ang hirap. Hindi ko pa po alam. Depende po sa sitwasyon at panahon," he said.
The DOJ has set the third hearing on Navarro and Cornejo's filed cases on February 28.