MANILA -- Malacañang on Wednesday denied rumors that Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario is going to resign and rejoin the private sector.
In a text message, del Rosario said: "In my talks with my trusted friend, Manny Pangilinan, in December, he is fully supportive of my decision to continue in public service for as long as the President wishes for me to do so."
Malacañang also denied rumors that del Rosario is going to resign. Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said President Benigno Aquino III has full confidence in the foreign affairs secretary.
"If it's about confidence in him, we have full confidence. But beyond that, I cannot fathom or divine the thoughts of Secretary del Rosario," Lacierda said.
"He is a workhorse in spite of his age. He has traveled the globe and pushed our foreign policy," he added, noting that the world has looked upon the Philippines with positive regard.
According to a report by Ellen Tordesillas published Wednesday on Yahoo News, Metro Pacific Investment Corporation chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan said del Rosario "will soon be rejoining us in the private sector" during a Christmas party last month at J.W. Marriott Hotel in Hongkong.
Pangilinan's remark intrigued other guests, sparking the question of whether the DFA secretary has a plan to resign, the report said.