MANILA -- The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Thursday said it will implement a total daytime truck ban starting December 13 until 20 to ease traffic congestion.
MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino said the major thoroughfares that will be covered by the total daytime truck ban include Marcos Highway, Aurora Boulevard, Katipunan, Commonwealth Avenue, C-5 Road and Quezon Boulevard.
Routes from the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) and North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) to Pier are exempted from the ban.
Meanwhile, all trucks, except for garbage trucks, will not be allowed on EDSA the whole day from December 13 to 20.
Tolentino said the Truckers Association of the Philippines agreed to implement the total daytime truck ban similar to what was implemented during the Asian Development Bank (ADB) Board of Governors conference in May last year.
Meanwhile, the MMDA has also cancelled the retraining of its traffic enforcers to augment those who will be deployed for the holiday season.
The MMDA also said there will be a moratorium on all excavations or diggings in all national and city roads starting December 13 until January 6, 2014.
There will also be a ban on fun runs, walkathon, marathon, bike races and similar events from December 16, 2013 to January 6, 2014.
The MMDA said with the expected 20 percent increase in traffic volume this month, Christmas lanes covering 18 transit routes will be opened.
The agency said there will be no more road reblocking operations along major and secondary roads until January 6, except this coming weekend.