Receiving gifts in a bottle gives a different kind of joy compared to receiving boxes wrapped in gift wrappers and huge bows. More often than not, bottle gifts are homemade, thus made from the heart and meant to be shared with the whole family.
Here is a recipe that you can try in your own kitchen:
Homemade Cookie Butter (Makes 2 500 ml jars)
Photo by Pia Puno for Food magazine
- 4 to 5 cups cookies of your choice (preferably rosquillos, peanut butter sandwiched coookies or butter cookies)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 cup unsalted melted butter
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3/4 cups of water
1. Using a food processor, process cookies into fine crumbs
2. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla and mix in the processor until a paste is formed.
3. Add in the molasses, butter and peanut oil while processor is running.
4. Add water a tablespoon at a time until enough it becomes a little runny. Add just enough water so mixture becomes the consistency of cookie butter.
5. Divide mixture into jars. Refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Best enjoyed spread over toasted ensaymada or brioche.
For more holiday tips and recipes, check out Food magazine's December issue, out in newsstands and bookstores. Digital edition available on Zinio.com and the iTunes App Store.