BATANGAS – Former Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) secretary Leandro Mendoza passed away at the age of 67 early Monday morning.
Mendoza's son, Batangas 4th District Representative Mark Llandro Mendoza, said his father died at 1:30 a.m. after suffering a stroke inside their ancestral house in Sitio Pag-Asa, Barangay Poblacion, San Juan, Batangas.
"Biglaan lang. He was in his rehabilitation when he suffered another stroke," Rep. Mendoza said in a phone interview.
Mendoza is survived by his wife Soledad and six children, Maria Lea Mendoza-Apita, Michael Mendoza, Maria Leilani Mendoza-Viloria, Mark Llandro Mendoza, Matthew Mendoza and Lean Mendoza.
Last March 17, 2012, Mendoza was airlifted to St. Luke's Medical Center in Bonifacio Global City after suffering a heart attack while celebrating his birthday at a resort in San Juan, Batangas.
He survived the heart attack and had since been under therapy.
Mendoza, who also served as Philippine National Police chief and executive secretary under then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, was among several individuals slapped with charges over the botched $329-million National Broadband Network (NBN) deal with China's ZTE.
In May last year, about two months after suffering a heart attack, a wheelchair-bound Mendoza entered a not guilty plea to the charges before the anti-graft court.
Rep Mendoza said his father's remains will be brought to the Heritage Park in Taguig City. Other details of the internment will be announced by the family at a later time.