Gov't urged to aid raped OFW in Saudi

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 21 2010 03:32 PM | Updated as of Jan 21 2010 11:32 PM

MANILA, Philippines –An alliance of Filipino migrant organizations on Thursday blamed the government for its alleged inaction on the case of an OFW who was a victim of rape in Dammam, Saudi Arabia.

In a press statement, Migrante International said the OFW’s family fears that Saudi authorities would soon carry out the 100 lashes penalty before releasing Camille (not her real name).

Camille got pregnant as a result of the rape. However, she lost the baby on her fourth month of pregnancy.

The group learned from Camille’s relatives that the OFW had a miscarriage last December 2009 while detained at the Hafer Al Baten jail.

Camille’s mother told the group that no one from the Philippine Embassy in Saudi Arabia visited her daughter when she was hospitalized. The foreign affairs department in Manila also could not give them any information about Camille’s condition.

The Filipina was working as a janitress at a dental clinic for about 3 months when she was attacked by a co-worker, a Bangladeshi national only identified as a certain Mr. Mammon, last year.

Out of fear of the suspect, the victim decided to remain silent. She only revealed her ordeal when she found out she was pregnant.

“Sadyang nakakalungkot dahil sa halip na ipahuli at maparusahan ang nanghalay sa kanya ay sinampahan pa ng kasong ‘illicit affair’ at ipinakulong ng kanyang employer si Camille,” said Gina Esguerra, secretary-general of Migrante International.

Migrante International brought Camille’s case to the DFA and the Philippine embassy in Saudi Arabia. The group lamented that until now the government has yet to provide legal assistance to the victim.
 
“Ngayong naibalik na si Camille sa piitan ay hindi malayong umpisahan na ang paglalatigo sa kanya na kasama sa sintensya sa kasalanang hindi naman niya ginawa,” Esguerra said.