DOH sees decline in firecracker injuries with Duterte order

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 29 2017 12:27 PM

Watch more in iWantv or TFC.tv

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte's political will help bring down the number of firecracker-related injuries during New Year revelries, the Department of Health said Friday.

An executive order that restricts the use of fireworks will be implemented for the first time this weekend. The new rules are similar to the one implemented by Duterte in Davao City during his term as mayor.

As of Dec. 28, the DOH recorded 61 firecracker-related injuries, which points to a downtrend from the total 637 cases last year, said DOH spokesman Lyndon Lee Suy.

"The data will tell us that the implementation of the executive order is there and we have not seen as many cases as we've seen in previous years," Lee Suy told ANC's Early Edition.

"People would say, 'Nagawa ito sa Davao (this worked in Davao), I guess it can be done in the entire country,'" he said.

Lee Suy said implementation of the order at the barangay level is very "critical." It restricts the use of firecrackers to designated community zones.