Batangas imposes 22-day commercial fishing ban on Balayan Bay

Arnell Ozaeta, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 19 2016 07:22 PM

BATANGAS - A 22-day ban on commercial fishing in Balayan Bay in Batangas has been imposed by the local government and other agencies to allow the stock of galunggong and matambaka to replenish.

In a statement, the Batangas Environment and Natural Resources Office (ENRO) said the ban will be implemented from November 19 to December 10 with the help of 11 coastal municipalities in the province of Batangas.

This is the first inter-LGU seasonal closure initiative in the country, which is participated by the towns of Tingloy, Mabini, Bauan, San Luis, Taal, Lemery, Calaca, Balayan, Calatagan, Lian, and Nasugbu, it said.

The province formally launched the third seasonal closure on November 18 at the Nasugbu Beach Park Pavilion. The first was implemented on December 11 to 31, 2014 and the second one was on December 5 to 31, 2015.

During the closure, the use of three types of fishing gears (purse seine, ring net, and bag net) are prohibited.

Lilian Garcia, Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Region IV-A director, said the implementation of closed season has been successful so far because of the financial assistance provided by the Department of Social Welfare and Development to fishermen whose livelihood were affected by the ban.

In the 2014 closure, they achieved an unprecedented compliance from the fishing boat operators and municipal fishers, said Garcia. However, in 2015, a nighttime light fishing vessel was detected.

For this season, Garcia said all stakeholders have agreed to fully support the program and extend the implementation of the closed season for another six years, from 2015 to 2020.