Anti-Marcos groups converge at historic EDSA monument

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 18 2016 03:38 PM | Updated as of Nov 18 2016 06:29 PM


MANILA - Various groups opposing the burial of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos are expected to converge Friday at the historic People Power Monument along EDSA.

Various prominent anti-Marcos personalities have started to arrive at the monument to show indignation to the "surprise" Marcos burial.

"They are revising history...Bastusan na ito," said artist Jim Paredes. "Kung tunay na Pilipino ka malulungkot ka."

Susan Tagle, a co-convenor of the Coalition Against Marcos Burial, said groups will converge at the monument Friday, apart from the various pocket protests around the country.

"I was surprised at the speed. I was no longer surprised they would do it," Tagle said.

The late dictator was buried hurriedly at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes Cemetery) on Friday, as the family embarked on a political revival while thousands who suffered under his two-decade-long rule still cry for justice.

The Supreme Court last week rejected a petition by human rights victims to stop the transfer of Marcos' remains to the same resting place of former presidents, national artists and heroes of war.

President Rodrigo Duterte, an ally of the Marcoses, allowed the burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, which was the late strongman's last wish, according to his family.

Marcos' remains were transferred by helicopter from Ilocos Norte province, where it had been kept since it was brought back to the country in 1993. He died while on exile in Hawaii in 1989, three years after he was ousted by a military-backed popular revolt.

The country marked 30th anniversary of Marcos' ouster this year, with 75,000 victims still awaiting reparation. 

The Marcoses allegedly plundered $10 billion from state coffers during their reign and only $4 billion in cash and assets have been recovered by an anti-graft body formed by his successor, the late president Corazon Aquino.

The late dictator's only son and namesake, Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr., narrowly lost the vice-presidential race this year to Leni Robredo, an ally of the family's political nemesis and Duterte's immediate predecessor, Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III.

His widow, former first lady Imelda Marcos is a congresswoman in Ilocos Norte while his eldest daughter, Imee, is the provincial governor.

-- With reports from Joel Guinto, ABS-CBN News