Marcos family requests peaceful burial in Libingan

Sherrie Ann Torres, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 16 2016 04:18 PM | Updated as of Oct 06 2017 06:05 PM

1,000 cops to be deployed near heroes' cemetery

MANILA - Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos and former Senator Bongbong Marcos separately met with high-ranking police officials earlier this week to discuss the Marcos family's plans for the burial of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, an official said Wednesday.

A burial date has yet to be disclosed, but the only request of the Marcos family was to ensure a peaceful burial for the late strongman, National Capital Region Police Office chief Dir. Oscar Albayalde told ABS-CBN News.

"Wala silang ni-request... basta ang gusto lang talaga nila ay maging very simple at solemn ang libing," Albayalde said.

Albayalde discounted the possibility that mourners will be allowed to enter the Heroes' Cemetery during the burial.

"We would like to respect the family's request to ensure a solemn occasion," he said.

Both pro- and anti-Marcos groups will be allowed to hold protests in designated areas to ensure that the burial will not be disrupted.

Placards, megaphones, and sound systems will still be allowed by the Philippine National Police, provided that protesters will not use these to harm policemen or other people, Albayalde said.

Around 1,000 policemen will be deployed to areas surrounding the Libingan ng mga Bayani during the Marcos burial, he said.

Concerned police district directors are already briefing their personnel regarding their obligation to respect human rights, exercise maximum tolerance if ever there is a rally, and how to conceal firearms, he added.