MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has tapped Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC) chairperson Eduardo del Rosario as the new head of Task Force Bangon Marawi, as the government focuses on rebuilding the war-torn city of Marawi.
Duterte’s Administrative Order No. 9 changes the composition of the task force, which was previously headed by Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana.
The task force was created on June 28 through AO No. 3
"There is a need to reorganize Task Force Bangon Marawi in order to reflect the government’s current priority to rebuild and develop the settlement areas affected by the armed conflict," Duterte’s AO No. 9 reads.
Del Rosario shall be assisted by the secretaries of defense and public works who will both serve as vice-chairpersons of the task force.
"The Chairperson of the HUDCC as head of Task Force Bangon Marawi shall have operational control and supervision of the said Task Force and the overall responsibility to ensure that the objectives of this order are accomplished,” the order reads.
The administrative order also makes Del Rosario as head of the sub-committee on housing and subcommittee on security, peace and order, previously headed by the Cabinet Secretary and Interior Secretary, respectively.
The government is gearing up for the task of building back Marawi City after the end of hostilities last week. The conflict left much of the former commercial center in ruins and displaced more than 200,000 residents. At least 1,100 were killed, most of them terrorists.
Temporary shelters for displaced families will be ready by December, the government promised, as authorities continued to clear the city of stray explosives.
Government has allotted P5 billion for the city's rehabilitation this year, while another P10 billion is set to be released next year. Lorenzana earlier said rebuilding the city may need up to P50 billion.
Earlier, the Office of the Civil Defense said rebuilding Marawi City may take 2 to 3 years.