Cops to bring 'war on drugs' to schools, offices

Vivienne Gulla, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 26 2016 03:11 AM

MANILA – The Philippine National Police (PNP) is stepping up its anti-illegal drugs campaign with "Project Double Barrel Alpha". 

Cops will be visiting schools and offices to convince illegal drug users and pushers to surrender.

The Dangerous Drugs Board has estimated that there are 1.8 million drug users in the Philippines. President Duterte has given the PNP a one-year extended time frame from July to make them surrender and eliminate drugs in the country.
 
PNP records show that in the last four months of Oplan Tokhang in some 2 million homes, almost half of its target, or more than 746,000 drug suspects have surrendered.

More than 54,000 of these are pushers or dealers.
 
In its intensified anti-drug campaign, the PNP has set its sights on high-value targets, including celebrities.

Meanwhile, PNP Director General Ronald Dela Rosa said a top-rating television show host is in the PNP's drugs watchlist.
 
About 54 showbiz celebrities, including the television show host, are in the PNP's drugs watchlist. 

Dela Rosa said China has donated 115 boxes of equipment, including bullet proof vests to help in the PNP's anti-drug crackdown.

Thirteen policemen have died and 40 have sustained injuries in the war on drugs.

PNP records showed that close to 2,000 suspects have been killed in police operations and over 3,000 drug-related deaths are under investigation.

The operations led to the seizure of more than P16 billion worth of shabu, four times higher than the amount seized last year.