Cebuanos flock to Cardinal Vidal's wake

Joworski Alipon, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 22 2017 09:20 PM

CEBU CITY - Catholic faithful lined up at the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral Sunday to pay their respects to the late Archbishop Emeritus Ricardo Cardinal Vidal.

Vidal, who served as archbishop of Cebu before he retired in 2011, died last week at the age of 86 in the intensive care unit of the Perpetual Succor Hospital.

The funeral of Vidal is scheduled on October 26, Thursday. A Mass will be celebrated at 9 a.m. before the procession, according to Cebu Archdiocese spokesperson Msgr. Joseph Tan.

He said the cathedral will be closed at midnight Wednesday and will be open again at 7 a.m. Thursday so they can prepare for the funeral Mass.

Cardinal Vidal will be laid to rest at the mausoleum for the departed bishops, located at the back of the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral's sacristy.

Msgr. Tan said the public will be allowed to have a final glimpse of Vidal before the procession. He advised the public not to bring their own vehicles as the roads around the cathedral will be closed.

He also advised those who will attend the Mass and the procession to refrain from bringing backpacks to avoid delay during inspection. 

Tan said they are expecting more parishioners from far-flung areas to arrive this week before the late bishop is laid to rest.

Besides serving Cebu, Vidal was also president of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines from 1985 to 1987, according to the Vatican press office. 

During this time, Vidal rallied the public to pray amid escalating tensions which eventually led to the EDSA Revolution that ousted then President Ferdinand Marcos from power.