ILOCOS NORTE- Ilocano supporters in favor of interring the remains of former president Ferdinand Marcos in the Libingan ng Mga Bayani (LNB) began their four-day "Kailan March" from Ilocos Norte to Manila on Friday.
The group is expected to arrive Monday in Manila, where they will conduct a vigil and wait for the Supreme Court decision on the planned burial of Marcos in the LNB.
The high court extended up to October 18 the halt order it earlier handed down on the planned burial of Marcos.
Two unity masses were held at the San Agustin Church in Paoay and at the St. John the Baptist Parish Church in Badoc before the march.
The convoy left the Paoay church at 6 p.m. Friday and arrived at Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, at around 10 p.m.
Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos said the burial should have been done last month and that it is only lawful for her father to be buried at the heroes' cemetery.
"Sana natapos na ito noong Setyembre… subali't ito nga, maraming naghabla, kahit sinasabi na ng Santo Papa, ni Apo Pope Francis, na ito ang Jubilee of Mercy," Governor Marcos said.
(It should have been done last September but many people are hindering the burial even though Pope Francis already said that this year is the Jubilee of Mercy.)
She also thanked the members of the Kailan March: "I am certain that with our continued prayers, we will finally bring peace to my father, to my family, to this province, and to the entire country, the Republic of the Philippines. Tuloy tayo sa Libingan ng Mga Bayani."
"Kailian" is an Ilocano word used to address or identify fellow members of a community.
Marcos' remains have been kept in the family's ancestral home on Batac town since they were returned to the Philippines in 1993, four years after he died while on exile in Hawaii.
As of Saturday morning, the convoy had reached San Fernando City, La Union at 2:30 a.m. The group expected to be headed for Pangasinan.