Trillanes feels 'vindicated' over Ombudsman probe on Duterte wealth

Sherrie Ann Torres, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 28 2017 03:12 PM | Updated as of Sep 28 2017 06:02 PM

Senator Antonio Trillanes during a session at the Philippine Senate, 25 September 2017. George Calvelo, ABS CBN News

MANILA- Senator Antonio Trillanes IV said he feels "vindicated" over the Office of the Ombudsman's announcement that it had already acquired bank transaction documents of President Rodrigo Duterte.

Trillanes on Thursday said he wants the public to realize that the President is "corrupt" and "full of lies."

“Mahigit P2 billion ang pumasok sa kaniyang accounts, credits and deposits. Pag nakita niyo yung dokumento di hamak na mas maraming pasok, kakaunti lang ang lumabas..." Trillanes told reporters.

The Ombudsman has began looking into bank transactions of the President and his family as prompted by Trillanes' allegations that the President kept hidden wealth.

Overall Deputy Ombudsman Arthur Carandang had confirmed obtaining bank transaction documents of the President and his family from the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC), saying the Duterte family’s transactions amount to hundreds of millions of pesos from different banks between 2006 until 2016.

Trillanes alleged that supposed P2 billion in bank transactions are not campaign funds.

"Hindi 'to campaign funds. Maliwanag na hindi campaign funds,” he said.

Trillanes added that even though the President cannot be sued in court except through an impeachment process, he already believes that Duterte will soon have to face cases once the latter steps down from office.