DOH confirms 2 more Zika cases in Iloilo

Jamaine Punzalan, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 13 2016 12:28 PM | Updated as of Sep 13 2016 01:07 PM

MANILA - The Department of Health (DOH) reported Tuesday two more cases of the Zika virus in Iloilo City.

In a press briefing, Health Secretary Paulyn Jean Ubial said the two patients share a house with a married woman who tested positive for Zika last week.

Both new cases only experienced mild skin rash and no other symptoms, Ubial said.

All three patients did not require serious hospitalization and have since recovered from their illness, she added.. None of them were pregnant.

Zika, which is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, is usually not life-threatening but has been linked to a rise in birth defects in other countries, where hundreds of babies have been born with unusually small heads in recent years.

The DOH has visited 88 houses near the residence of the three latest Zika cases. Mosquito-control efforts, including environmental clean-up and targeted fogging, were undergoing in the area.

Ubial urged local government units and the public to destroy breeding sites for mosquitoes and use insect repellent.

She also instructed people experiencing Zika symptoms -- skin rashes, fever, red eyes, and headache -- to immediately consult with doctors.