Palace backs proposal to grant P1-M aid to wounded troops in Marawi

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 03 2017 04:06 PM

MANILA -Malacañang supports a proposal to give P1 million financial assistance to soldiers and policemen who were disabled in the line of duty in Marawi.

Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said the proposal made by Senator Ralph Recto is a recognition of the government troops' heroism.

"[The] move to grant P1-M financial assistance to soldiers and policemen who are permanently disabled in the performance of their duty during combat or police operations is very encouraging," he said.

Recto previously pointed out that soldiers and policemen permanently disabled during combat only get a one-time P250,000 financial aid. He said this would not suffice for the troops' lifetime care.

"This effort to increase the financial assistance extended to government forces is a much appreciated recognition of the heroism that our men and women in uniform showed," Abella said. 

"We are hopeful that all would see the merit in Senator Recto’s call," he added.

As of August 31, 2017, 620 Maute terrorists have been killed in Marawi City. But 136 soldiers and 45 civilians have also been killed in the battle that started last May.