MANILA - US Ambassador Sung Kim on Tuesday joined the chorus of calls for accountability over the anti-drug operation that claimed the life of 17-year-old Kian Lloyd Delos Santos.
"My condolences go out to the family and friends of Kian. Hope that the investigations lead to full accountability," Kim wrote on Twitter.
The Senate, Commission on Human Rights and the Department of Justice are investigating the killing of Delos Santos, whom police tagged as a drug courier.
The Grade 11 student was shot dead last Wednesday when he allegedly resisted arrest in Barangay 160, Caloocan. Witnesses said Delos Santos was mauled by policemen, given a gun and told to run before he was shot.
The teenager was among the dozens killed during the bloodiest week so far of the government's war on drugs.
The United States earlier expressed concern on the deaths of thousands of drug suspects under the campaign. President Rodrigo Duterte, in turn, hurled curses at the Western superpower.
Ties between Manila and Washington have thawed since US President Donald Trump came to power. The American leader has not directly criticized Duterte's controversial campaign so far.