MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte is looking for "alternative solutions" as the law apparently bars a retiring Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief from heading the interior department within a year after leaving the military service.
The President earlier named AFP chief of staff General Eduardo Año to lead the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) after firing Ismael Sueno.
Año, whose mandatory retirement from the military is on October 27, was supposed to assume the DILG top post last June but the Marawi conflict which erupted on May 23 prevented him from taking on his new role.
Republic Act 6975, or the Department of the Interior and Local Government Act of 1990, states that “no retired or resigned military officer or police official may be appointed as Secretary within one year from the date of his retirement or resignation.”
Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said the President has been “made aware of the provision and I’m sure he has alternative solutions regarding the matter.”
The President has appointed former military men to various government posts, saying he prefers disciplined officials handling sensitive government services.
Meanwhile, Duterte is also set to meet on Tuesday afternoon former Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. in Malacañang.
Abella said he is not privy to the topic that will be discussed by the President and Teodoro, including the possible offer of another Cabinet post to the latter.
Last year, Duterte offered Teodoro to reprise his role as defense chief, but the latter did not accept it.