Brillante Mendoza eyes improvements in this year's SONA broadcast

RG Cruz, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 17 2017 09:50 PM

Director Brillante Mendoza supervises the TV broadcast of President Rodrigo Duterte's first SONA. Presidential Communications file photo

MANILA - For the second time, multi-awarded filmmaker Brillante Mendoza will direct President Rodrigo Duterte's State of the Nation Address (SONA), which will happen on July 24. 

The critically acclaimed director, along with members of the Presidential Communications Office, visited Batasang Pambansa's plenary hall on Monday for a walk through.

"Basically 'yung mga placement ng mga camera diniscuss namin, tapos 'yung mga puwede ko pang i-add doon sa ginawa ko last year," he said. 

Mendoza's take on President Duterte's SONA last year, particularly the camera angles and shots, got mixed reactions from the public. 

He said the country will be seeing more of that in this year's SONA but he will be making a few changes. 

"We will just try to improve kung ano 'yung mga magandang nagawa last year but I always take criticisms naman in a positive way," he said.

One innovation for the President's second SONA, according to Mendoza, is the black and white photographs of the president's accomplishments accompanying the speech. 

"Meron kaming papakita...unlike before na completely siya lang, may papakita kami na mga photographs, not exactly AVP [audio-visual presentation] but more or less accomplishments niya, in photographs," he said. 

The director, who recently joined the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, said he is prepared for anything that goes off-script since the President is known for his spontaneity. 

For Mendoza, what is important is that the people get exactly the President's message without his direction being distracting. 

Mendoza said his work is pro bono or for free not only because he believes in the advocacy of the President but also because he knows he is doing this for the country.