Military clears 60 more Maute strongholds in Marawi

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 16 2017 01:26 PM | Updated as of Jul 16 2017 02:14 PM

MANILA - Sporadic gunfire continued to be heard in Marawi on Sunday as government troops pressed on with the hunt for the remaining members of the Maute group occupying the city.

The military said in the past 48 hours, they cleared 60 more buildings previously used as strongholds by the terrorists.

They said troops are now hunting down the last 60 Maute group members and they are closing in on the battle's "center of gravity."

Based on information on the ground, the military said Abdullah, one of the Maute brothers, is still leading the Islamic State-linked terrorists.

Marawi City remains on lock down as firefights between state troops and terrorists continue, the military said.

Authorities said they can not soften security measures yet because their main concern is the safety of innocent civilians.

President Rodrigo Duterte last week said the conflict in Marawi may be over in 10 to 15 days.--report by Ron Gagalac, ABS-CBN News