MANILA- Officials have yet to say when power could be restored in Samar, Bohol and Southern Leyte, where power is completely out after the region was hit by a 6.5 magnitude quake Thursday afternoon.
The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) said Friday that three major facilities were damaged by the temblor and that an assessment is underway.
"There is a complete loss of power in Bohol and Samar islands, and Southern Leyte. Due to supply deficiency caused by the outage of power plants located in Leyte, customers in Cebu, Negros, and Panay may also suffer occasional power interruptions," the NGCP said in a statement.
The NGCP has yet to know "the real situation" in the affected facilities, and the agency is "assessing how much capacity Luzon can contribute to Visayas," officials said separately in a press briefing.
Aerial and ground patrols "to inspect and assess" quake-hit areas are ongoing, the NGCP said.
So far, the agency has noted damage in several facilities: "Ormoc HVDC (high voltage direct current) and Ormoc Substation sustained damage," and "a tower along the 138-kV Ormoc-Togonan Line was found leaning."
Electricity in Cebu, Negros, and Panay were meanwhile restored Thursday night, while parts of Northern Leyte continue to receive power supply as submarine cables from Cebu are still intact, NGCP spokesperson Cynthia Alabanza said.
Power in the Visayas was cut Thursday afternoon after the Malitbog Geothermal Power Station, located in Kananga town, automatically shut down when Leyte was hit by a 6.5-magnitude quake.
The National Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said at least 241 aftershocks have been recorded in Leyte as of 5 a.m. Friday.
It has yet to complete a damage report on the quake as its personnel are still gathering data in affected areas.