LOOK: Payloader takes down Enrile bust in Cagayan

Danielle Louise Rebollos, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 07 2016 09:37 PM | Updated as of Jul 08 2016 10:07 AM

Newly elected Cagayan Gov. Manuel Mamba ordered the removal of the bust of former Senator Juan Ponce Enrile from the provincial capitol grounds.

Since 1984, a bust had been standing on Cagayan's province's capitol grounds.

Although there was no marker, it was said to be the bust of former Senator Juan Ponce Enrile.

It was a tribute for Enrile when he became the defense minister of former President Ferdinand Marcos.

But last Monday, a payloader removed the bust in compliance with an order from new Cagayan Governor Manuel Mamba.

Mamba said a bust of a living person is against the guidelines of the National Historical Commission.

Enrile and Mamba are political rivals in Cagayan.

Mamba said he does not want Enrile to be an example to the youth.

The former senator is currently out on bail for plunder and graft cases in connection with the multi-billion-peso pork barrel scam.

Enrile has yet to comment on the removal of the bust. 

READ: 92-year-old Enrile bows out of politics