MANILA - The National Food Authority (NFA) on Tuesday vowed to look into possible violations of protocol that led to the shipping of aging rice stocks in Eastern Visayas.
Speaking to DZMM Teleradyo, NFA spokesperson Rex Estoperez said they are already reviewing the papers in relation to the aging stocks that were reportedly transferred to Bulacan.
"Sa audit po natin may mga papeles 'yan na binabalikan natin. Kung may na-mismanage na stock, may kalalagyan ka," he said.
Former Agrarian Reform Secretary Rafael Mariano earlier questioned NFA's move to ship millions of kilos of stockpiled rice from Visayas to Bulacan last year.
The transfer of stocks to Bulacan rice traders was made a few months before an alleged rice shortage was experienced in parts of the country.
Meanwhile, Estoperez denied media reports that the sacks of rice found inside an NFA warehouse in Tacloban City were rotting.
"Hindi naman po nabubulok. Ito naman po ay aging stocks natin. Mga 2015 (rice stocks)," he said, adding that this is just an isolated incident as not all rice stocks age in NFA warehouses.