MANILA - Groups of government employees scored the Duterte Adminsitration for hiring former men in uniform for civilian positions in government.
Confederation for Unity, Recognition and Advancement of Government Employees President Ferdinand Gaite believes the appointments are worrisome and identified the following:
- former AFP Chief of Staff Ricardo Visaya at the National Irrigation Administration,
- Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon,
- Retired Marine General Alexander Balutan at the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office,
- former Davao City PNP Chief Jaime Morente at the Bureau of Immigratuon and
- former PNP Deputy Chief for Operations Edgar Galvante at the Land Tranpsortation office.
"Ibig sabihin talagang dumadami yung mga militar at sundalo sa gobyerno. Ang tawag nga namin dito militarization of the bureaucracy," said Gaite.
"Nakakadismaya yung sinabi ni Duterte kaya daw niya pinili yung sundalo't pulis kasi tamad daw yung mga sibilyan, may utak pulbura na mindset," he added.
Those which Gaite named however are not the first Duterte appointees to come from the uniformed sector.
His National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon was AFP Chief under the Arroyo Administration while his Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana was also a Retired Army General.
Duterte also is not the first president to hire former men in uniform for civilian posts.