4 out of 5 Pinoys in Metro Manila feel safer because of war on illegal drugs: NCRPO

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 25 2017 05:06 PM | Updated as of Mar 26 2017 06:26 PM

Bystanders gather at a commercial center. More than 4 out of 5 Filipinos living in Metro Manila feel safer because of the government's war on illegal drugs, the NCRPO has said, using data put together by Pulse Asia. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News file

MANILA — More than 4 out of 5 Filipinos living in Metro Manila feel safer because of the government's war on drugs, the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) has said, using data collected by Pulse Asia.

The survey, conducted between December 6 and 11, asked the public to respond to the statement: "Compared to last year, I feel that it is less dangerous now in our place because of the campaign against illegal drugs."

The survey, which "randomly selected respondents from all walks of life," garnered an 82% approval rating, the NCRPO said in a statement on its website.

“This result will serve as our driving force to continue our mission on eradicating illegal drugs and other illegal activities in the Metro,” NCRPO chief Superintendent Oscar Albayalde said.

Albayalde also urged the public to continue cooperating with and supporting the police. 

The Philippine National Police launched "Oplan Tokhang" (knock and plead) operations, which it says generally helped to lower crime rate in the country.

But the nationwide campaign was suspended for a month following allegations of abuse of power among cops and extrajudicial killings.

It was relaunched earlier this month with a promise that more tolerant methods would be enforced.

Human rights groups have said that more than 7,000 people have been killed in the illegal-drug war, but the government said only 2,500 deaths can be attributed to the government.