Duterte denies hand in planned impeachment raps vs Robredo

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 19 2017 03:00 PM

Vice President Leni Robredo and President Rodrigo Duterte

MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday denied involvement in the planned impeachment complaint against Vice President Leni Robredo.

The President said he was never involved in the said impeachment plans and does not plan to get involved.

“I never did anything and, I will never do anything about it… I never lifted a finger on anybody,” he told reporters.

“I just want to focus on my job which you have given me and may I reiterate I will comply with my promises,” he added.

House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez on Friday said he is considering filing an impeachment complaint against the vice president for possible betrayal of public trust on the basis of Robredo's video message to the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs, where she criticized the government's war on drugs.

Alvarez also tagged Robredo in the impeachment complaint filed against the President, saying she is rushing to have Duterte impeached so she can sit as president.

Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano last Thursday filed an impeachment complaint against Duterte over killings linked to his war on drugs and allegations he kept secret bank accounts.

Alejano accused the President of culpable violation of the Constitution, betrayal of public trust, graft and corruption, bribery and other high crimes.

Duterte had previously cleared the Vice President of links in the alleged alleged destabilization plot being brewed against him.

But on Sunday, the President said he "will not be surprised" if Robredo is involved in plots to oust him, but will also "not speculate" if she is not.

"Hindi ako nakikialam sa buhay niya( Robredo), sana wag niya pakialaman yung akin," Duterte said, adding that he does not mind the impeachment complaint against him.

Robredo’s camp meanwhile has repeatedly slammed the impeachment threat of Alvarez, saying it is “utterly irresponsible.”

"Sa aming pagkakaunawa, wala talagang basehan ang kanyang mga pananakot. Napaka-iresponsable na magbitaw siya ng mga ganitong salita gayong wala namang sapat na basehan," Robredo's spokesperson, Georgina Hernandez said in an interview with radio DZMM.

(From what we understand, there is no basis whatsoever for his threats. Issuing such statements was very irresponsible as these had no basis.)