Duterte leads destruction of P27 million in smuggled cars at Cagayan port

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 14 2018 06:36 PM | Updated as of Mar 14 2018 07:43 PM

MANILA (UPDATE) - President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday led the destruction of smuggled vehicles, some of which were luxury cars, in Cagayan province, as the government continued its crackdown on illegal shipments.

Duterte led the destruction of 14 used luxury vehicles from Japan and South Korea worth an estimated P27 million. The vehicles had remained unclaimed since 2014 due to an executive order that prohibits the importation of used vehicles to the Philippines.

“This condemnation of these smuggled vehicles demonstrates our firm stand to put an end to a longstanding societal disease that has eroded public trust and tainted the government’s sincerity to deliver equitable social services,” Duterte said in his prepared speech.

“The destruction of these contraband luxury vehicles signifies our strong resolve to restore good governance, preserve our nation’s dignity, and safeguard our people’s welfare," he said. 

Used luxury cars were destroyed Wednesday at Port Irene, Cagayan. Vivienne Gulla, ABS-CBN News

mong those destroyed were a Maserati Quattroporte, Porsche 911 GT3, BMW Alpina B12, BMW Z1, Opel Manta, Renault 5, and 8 Mercedes Benz cars. 

Some 841 vehicles at Cagayan’s Port Irene could also suffer the same fate. Their documents are still being reviewed.

Duterte last month led the destruction of 20 smuggled cars worth P61.6 million at the Manila port. 

The President had said he would rather that the cars be destroyed than end up in the hands of smugglers through auctions.