Duterte claims rise in drug activities

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 27 2017 05:10 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte Reuters

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday admitted there has been an observed rise in illegal drug activities since the suspension of the police’s war on drugs.

The Philippine National Police last month suspended its war on drugs after several cops were accused of kidnapping and then killing a Korean national right inside PNP headquarters in Camp Crame.

Duterte said since the suspension of the police’s war on drugs, which was relegated to the much smaller Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), “there is a gain, a rise of drug activities by 20 percent.”

PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa told reporters that the police force is willing to resume its campaign if Duterte will allow it, as he claimed that drug traffickers are rejoicing over the suspension of the police campaign.

“The longer na wala kami sa war on drugs the situation is getting worse, the more na babalik yung problema. Sayang yung gains na nakuha natin from the first 7 months ng ating war on drugs. Nasasayangan ako e. So the sooner the better.”

(The problem will worsen the longer that we are not part of the war on drugs. I don't want the progress of the war on drugs for the first 7 months to go to waste.)

In the interview with reporters, Duterte did not indicate whether he will allow the police to resume the war on drugs, saying the police force needs to take in more competent and honest policemen and rid itself of bad eggs.

“Give me men that I can trust to handle the campaign,” Duterte said.

“The standard is he must be honest, efficient, not corrupt so everything will be in order.”