Bongbong as DILG chief? That's 'scary' - Robredo

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 17 2017 10:29 AM

MANILA - Vice-President Leni Robredo believes former senator Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. should not be given a Cabinet post because the Marcoses have not paid for what they did to the country.

In an exclusive interview with ANC's "Headstart," Robredo said there had been talk that the losing vice-presidential candidate would be given a Cabinet portfolio "as early as the inauguration" in June, but the Constitution prohibited his appointment within a year of losing the elections.

Robredo maintained that although it is President Rodrigo Duterte's prerogative to appoint people to his official family, her concern is that "the Marcoses have not paid for what they did to the country."

"There have been several decisions already, asking them to pay back whatever they got from the government, whatever they got from the people; but all these judgments have not been satisfied yet," she said.

"And now, he’s aiming for another Cabinet position, and that for me, that’s scary in a sense that he will again be given an opportunity to do what they did before," she said.

The Marcos family allegedly amassed billions of dollars and billions worth of jewelry and other loot during the term of former President Ferdinand Marcos.

Marcos' only son and namesake lost to Robredo by more than 200,000 votes in the May 2016 elections. The former senator has filed a protest before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal, which affirmed the sufficiency of the protest.

Several of Robredo's allies have also reacted to reports that Marcos may be appointed secretary of the Department of the Interior and Local Government.

In the Aquino administration, Robredo's late husband, Jesse Robredo, was the Interior Secretary until his death in 2012. He was replaced by Manuel Roxas II, former President Benigno Aquino III's runningmate in the 2010 elections.