Palace wants to 'move on', opts for 'quiet' People Power anniversary

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 16 2017 02:06 PM

People gather at the People Power Monument before the wreath-laying program in 2015. Photo by Mark Saludes for ABS-CBNnews.com

MANILA - The commemoration of the 31st EDSA People Power Revolution will be "simple and quiet" as the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte opts to "move on from just celebrating the past," Palace officials said Thursday.

The upcoming EDSA anniversary celebration will be low-key compared to previous years as it will be done within Camp Aguinaldo instead of its usual venue at the People Power monument at the corner of White Plains and EDSA in Quezon City.

"The whole thrust is moving the nation forward from just looking back at what has happened in the past... We can't get stuck in the past," presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella told Palace reporters.

Abella said the government wants to move on with nation building to give the People Power movement "a more positive outlook."

"The emphasis has shifted. it is no longer a celebration of the past. it is now a reflection of what can happen in the future," he said.

Aside from a mass, other details of the event, including the attendance of Duterte, have yet to be confirmed.

Duterte, a vocal ally of the Marcos family, has been accused of being lukewarm about sympathizing with Martial Law victims after he allowed the burial of former dictator Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani last year.

Duterte earlier admitted that he has always been grateful for the support of Ilocos governor Imee Marcos who rallied for him during the 2016 presidential elections.