Martial law victims ask Duterte to expedite release of reparations

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 21 2017 04:50 AM

MANILA - Martial law victims have sought the help of President Rodrigo Duterte regarding the the processing of claims and distribution of award and reparation, Palace Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said Friday.

In a text message, Abella said the president was informed that not a single centavo had been released to the victims of martial law during the Marcos regime, most of whom are already in old age, if not dead.

Abella said Duterte has given instructions to Human Rights Victims' Claims Board to arrange a meeting between the Samahan ng Ex-Detainees Laban sa Detensyon at Aresto (Selda) and the Claims Board.

"In recognition of the independence of the Human Rights Victims' Claims Board the President gave instructions to arrange a meeting between Selda and the Claims Board so that both parties would be able to air out their concern," Abella said in a statement sent through text message.

The Claims Board has given the president and Selda the assurance that the processing of claims will be expedited.