MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said his government plans to engage Kuwaiti officials in talks following a string of deaths of Filipino women working in the Gulf state.
In a speech during the launch of the Overseas Filipino Bank in Manila, Duterte said “we have lost about 4 Filipino women in the last few months.” He did not provide details.
The President said he told Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano that he wants the Philippine government to hold talks with Kuwait over the matter.
“We talk to them, state the truth and just tell them that it’s not acceptable anymore,” Duterte said.
“I don’t want a quarrel with Kuwait. I respect their leaders, but they have to do something about this.”
The President added he might consider imposing a total ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait.
He recalled stories of female Filipino migrant workers, especially in the Middle East, being abused by their employers.
“Itong mga ito they claim sexual abuse. They endure for some time the human derogation… para lang makapagdala ng pera dito,” Duterte said.
Kuwait is home to about 600,000 domestic helpers, mostly Asian. In January last year, migrant worker Jakatia Pawa was executed in Kuwait for allegedly killing her employer’s 22-year-old daughter.